Sunday, July 11, 2010

Tour of Saints 2010

Not a race. A heavenly little ride.
(Except for some of the hellish hills.)

WE DID IT!!!!!!
I'm very proud of my family and our bike tour today.
*35 miles
*3:40 bike pedaling time
*9.5 mph average -we flew down some of this hills- once going 22+mph and being passed, and slowly struggled up some hills at 1-1.
(1-1 is bike talk for lowest possible gear, walking is faster.)
*Tommy didn't walk once (I did walk up 3 hills halfway.)
*HILLS so many HILLS

It did take us another 2 hours of non-bike time- there were 2 planned stops- first in Cold Spring for some Cold Spring Bakery goodies and then Collegeville Orchards. We thoroughly enjoyed the respite. The kind ladies running the second stop were hardcore food pushers and we ended up with a to-go package of grapes, bananas and cookies! Technically we weren't the last to arrive back at St. Bens -granted those after us did ride for an additional 15 miles.


We also took some picture stops, playground fun, water breaks, snacks, feed Maddie, and just stopping to enjoy the BEAUTY of this area. Tommy's bike is still much faster then mine (nothing to do with being in shape, endurance, etc!) but we stayed together as much as possible. I did take head starts on the stops. I wished I had brought the point and shoot camera, but then we might still be out there biking and taking pictures.
Bell Banner Background





We had a great time accomplishing this challenge as a family working together. The big girls did great and Maddie slept most of the way. After the ride we ate at Bo Dids. YUM. We had a great day! Maybe 50 miles next year?!?!?
(UPDATE 7/12: Woke up at 1:00 am and was convinced I'd never be able to walk again.
Woke up in the morning and was in fact able to walk again.
Today I picked up some brochures about the Minneapolis Bike Tour in September....)

5 comments:

Kristin and Peter said...

Wow! I'm incredibly impressed. I don't think I'd even attempt that with three kids. Kudos to you and Tommy!

Chrissy Ziegler said...

What a gReAT thing for your family to do! I love it! You guys ALWAYS do fun things!!!!

Jewels said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Julie Nack said...

Wow, what a ride! I checked out the Minneapolis Bike Tour after reading your blog & I think we're going to do it too!

Anonymous said...

I am WAY super impressed. Now I'm inspired to get my family moving on our bicycles! -Laura E

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...